Sunday, December 27, 2009

Europe 2009-Day 1- The Colosseum Rome, Italy

This is a picture of the inside of the Colosseum. The wooden stage is a replica of what the stage would have looked like, of course it was made of wood so that didn't last but look at how intricate it was underneath the stage. The Romans had one of the first pulley systems and it was used for entertainment. The animals would be lifted onto the stage through trap doors.
These pillars/arches that you see are so neat. The dings that you see are most likely from some sort of fight. The Romans built these pillars stone upon stone and designed them with posts coming out of each side and then a post cut into the stone itself on the inside just like a puzzle piece. I don't think I clearly explained that, but it's hard to explain in words. I could show you with my hands but I don't know how to do that in a post :) The engineering for the time period is absolutely amazing!

HOLY COW was this cool. Minus the fact that I had stomach problems! The structure of this was built to last! This picture doesn't show how huge the building was. I'll see if I can find more pictures of its magnitude.

No comments: